科技改變生活 · 科技引領未來
視頻加載中...
Hi.
嗨。
Welcome to www. engvid. com. I&39;m Adam.
歡迎來到www.engvid.com。我是Adam。
In today&39;s video, I want to look at ten words and expressions from the French culinary world.
在今天的視頻里,我想要說一說法餐方面的十個詞匯和表達方式。
Okay?
好吧?
These are French culinary words;means they&39;re talking about cooking, and eating, etc.
這些是一些關于法餐方面的詞匯;意思都是表示烹飪和吃等等方面。
But the reason that I chose these ten is because they are very commonly used in everyday English, and not only to talk about food;they have very different contexts. . .
我選這十個詞是因為這十個詞在日常的英語中都非常常見,不僅僅是關于食物,這些詞有不同的語境......
excuse me.
不好意思。
Very different contexts as well.
還有不同的語境。
So, we&39;re going to look at &34;a la carte&34;.
來,第一個詞,“a la carte”。
Oh, and by the way, for the French speakers watching this video, if I butcher the language, I apologize in advance.
哦,還得說明一下,對于那些會說法語的觀眾來說,如果你們覺得我在糟踐這個語言,我先表示抱歉。
Okay?
好吧?
&34;a la carte&34;,&34;piquant&34;,&34;prix fixe&34;,&34;savour/savor&34;.
Now, we have with the &34;u&34; and without the &34;u&34;, so British Canadian spelling, American spelling.
這個詞有兩個版本,帶“u”和不帶“u”的,是英式,加拿大式拼寫,美式拼寫。
&34;Menu&34;, which a lot of you already know.
“Mene”,這個詞你們已經知道了。
&34;Du jour&34;,&34;a la mode&34;,&34;piece de resistance&34;,&34;cafe&34;, and &34;cuisine&34;.
&34;Du jour&34;,&34;a la mode&34;,&34;piece de resistance&34;,&34;cafe&34;,and &34;cuisine&34;.
Okay?
好吧?
Now, we&39;re going to go one by one,
好現在我們一個一個看。
and I&39;ll show you in what other contexts they can be used.
我會給你們展示一下他們還可以用在什么語境里。
Now,&34;a la carte&34; basically means according to the menu, but what it does is it allows you to order things individually as opposed to a set or a package.
現在,&34;a la carte&34;基本上是跟菜單有關,但是這個詞是說和份式飯不一樣的隨意點餐的意思。
Okay?
好吧?
So, if you go to a restaurant, they have a meal plan, like a set meal;all these things are included.
所以如果你去一家餐廳,他們有套餐,就像份飯;所以特定的東西都包括在里面。
For example, you have appetizer, main course, dessert.
比如說,你可以吃餐前開胃菜,主菜和甜點。
You can also order other items on the menu individually and pay for them separately.
你也可以單獨點餐單上其他的菜樣,然后單付錢。
So, whatever is in the menu. . .
所以不管餐單里有什么......
In the set, in the dinner set, for example, comes with it.
比如說,在套餐,份飯里,都會算在里面。
If you want to add anything, you order it separately and pay for it on top of the meal set.
如果你想加別的什么,你就單獨點然后在餐單里單獨付賬就行了。
But we also use this to talk about any package deal.
但是我們也會用這個詞來表示包辦的東西。
Okay?
好吧?
So, for example, you go buy a smartphone, a mobile phone and the company offers you a full package with all the features that are available for this phone.
比如說,你去買一臺智能機,或者一部移動電話,電話公司會提供給你適合你這部手機的所有套餐。
Now, you don&39;t need all. . .
好,你不是想要所有的......
For example, if you don&39;t need all these features, you can buy a basic plan and then choose your. . .
例如,如果你不需要這些項目,你就買一個基本的然后選你......
The features you want a la carte.
自己喜歡的。
Okay?
好吧?
So, we don&39;t only use it for food; we use it for any situation where you can pick individual features to. . .
所以,這個詞不僅僅用在食物上;也可以用在當你想單獨買,單獨挑選的......
And pay for each one separately.
并單獨支付的時候。
Okay?
明白了吧?
&34;Piquant&34;.
&34;Piquant&34;。
&34;Piquant&34; means spicy, but not spicy like burn your head off; spicy in a good way, like, just enough of a sting on the tongue to make it enjoyable.
&34;Piquant&34;表示的是辣,但不是能辣得你頭皮發麻那種;辣得恰到好處,就像辣味在舌頭里打轉,讓你享受的那種。
Okay?
行吧?
So that&39;s when we&39;re talking about food.
這是我們用在食物上的時候。
We can also use &34;piquant&34; to talk about a person.
我們也用&34;Piquant&34;來形容一個人。
You could say: &34;The woman is dressed in a piquant way.&34;
你可以說“這個女的穿著很有性格。”
Or somebody speaks with a little bit of a piquant attitude.
或者某人說話很有性格。
Basically, he means with a little bit of attitude;a little bit risky, a little bit racy, but in a way that has a good effect.
這兩句話的基本意思是有一點點態度,有一點點冒險,有一點點具有挑逗性,但是整體效果還不錯。
It&39;s a bit charming, you could even say.
你也可以說,效果拔群。
It&39;s piquant;it&39;s not. . .
這個還不錯喲,并不......
It&39;s not bland, it&39;s not boring.
乏味,不枯燥。
It has a little bit of flavour, even though you&39;re talking about a person or something a person says or does, etc. &34;Prix fixe&34;, so again, let&39;s go back to the restaurant.
還挺有味道的,即使是你談論一個人或者一個的言行等等。&34;Prix fixe&34;,我們再一次回到了餐廳里。
You go to a restaurant and they have a prix fixe - means they have a set price.
你去一家餐廳,然后他們有自助餐-這個意思是說他們有固定的價格。
It means fixed price and you pay this much. . .
這個的意思是價格固定,你就付這些錢......
You pay $50 and these are all the things you get.
你付了50美金,然后你就可以隨便吃這些東西。
Okay?
可以了吧?
You don&39;t. . .
你不必......
You can&39;t add anything;there&39;s no a la carte menu.
你也不能再加其他東西了;沒有單點的菜單。
There&39;s one set, one price - that&39;s what you pay.
一類食物,一個價格-就是你付的價格。
Again, going back to the mobile phone, you can buy a package and it&39;s a fixed price;you can&39;t make any changes to it, no substitutions, no add-ons, no extra features, etc.
好,我們現在回到電話上來,你可以買個套餐,然后價格固定;套餐內容你也不能改,不能增加,刪減和私人訂制。
Or you can just buy the a la carte items as you need them.
或者你可以根據你的需要,購買個性化的項目。
Okay?
明白了吧?
&34;Savour&34;.
“享受”。
Now,&34;savour&34; basically means to really feel or really enjoy the flavour of something.
“享受”表示的是真的感覺到或者享受到某種食物的味道。
Okay?
是吧?
And when you talk about &34;savour&34; as a noun, it has that special flavour that makes a dish really good.
如果作為名詞的話,表示的是特殊的風味讓某個菜肴更加好吃。
And many of you might know &34;savoury&34;.
你們中很多人都知道 &34;savoury&34;。
Savoury or sweet.
咸的,或者甜的。
You can have, like, a savoury crepe or a sweet crepe.
你可能會喜歡咸薄餅或者甜薄餅。
&34;Savoury&34; means more of the salty flavour.
&34;Savoury&34; 表示的是稍微更咸一點兒的味道。
But when we savour something. . .
當我們享受某食物時......
We can savour anything.
我們可以享受任何事物。
You can savour the sunset, you can savour a book, you can savour a good wine or food, and you can savour something.
你可以享受日落,你可以享受一本書,你可以享受一杯好酒,食物,或者別的什么的。
It means you take the time to really, really enjoy it, and appreciate everything that it has to offer.
意思就是你花費一些時間真的在享受著什么,并很感激這件事情帶給你的感受或者別的什么。
Okay?
明白了吧?
I think everybody. . .
我覺得每個人.....
Well, most people know &34;menu&34;, but &34;menu&34; is not only in a restaurant.
好吧,很多人都知道“menu”,但是“menu”這個詞不僅僅在餐廳使用。
You can go into a store and you want to buy something, and you want to know all the products they have available - they show you a menu of items. So, basically, a &34;menu&34; is just a list of available products for purchase, or available services for purchase.
你走進一家店,然后買點兒東西,你想知道店里哪些東西有售-店里的人就給你一個單子。所以基本上來說,“menu”說的是一個店里有售的貨物的清單,或者可提供的服務而已。
So, many companies just use the word &34;menu&34; because everybody understands it; they know it&39;s a list of available things to buy, and you choose your items. Now,&34;du jour&34;.
所以,很多公司都使用&34;menu&34;因為每個人都知道這個詞;人們通過清單可以知道有什么東西有售,就可以選他們需要的。下一個,&34;du jour&34;。
Some of you may have seen my older video about foreign words commonly used in English, and I already spoke about &34;du jour&34;, but again, it&39;s very relevant to this lesson, but you can also watch that lesson to get other foreign words that are used in English.
你們中的有些人也許看過我之前關于一些外來詞匯在英語中的普遍應用的老視頻,&34;du jour&34;這個詞我講過,和本次視頻挺相符的,但是從那個視頻中你也可以學習其他外來詞在英語中的應用。
&34;Du jour&34; means &34;of the day&34;.
&34;du jour&34;的意思是“當日的”。
So, the most common use is &34;soup du jour&34;,&34;soup of the day&34;.
所以,最常用的是 &34;soup du jour&34;,“今日的湯”。
But we talk about all kinds of other kinds.
但我們今天討論的是另外的意思。
So, anything that is du jour is what is popular today.
du jour的有個意思在今天非常流行。
You can talk about general things.
你可以在日常事物中討論。
So, for example, even in politics, the scandal du jour.
比如,政治方面的今日丑聞。
There are so many scandals lately that you don&39;t know how to keep up, so the scandal du jour is what is happening today.
最近有很多丑聞,你都不知道跟哪條了,所以the scandal du jour表示的是今天發生的。
Tomorrow there&39;ll be a new scandal, last week there was a new scandal.
明天的是新的丑聞,上周有一個新的丑聞。
Today&39;s scandal, the one that is most popular, the one that is on the news is the scandal du jour.
今天的丑聞,是今天最熱門的,新聞上的那條才是今日丑聞。
Okay?
好吧?
Of the day.
今日的。
Related, but different: &34;a la mode&34; means of the fashion.
這個形式相似,但是意思不同,&34;a la mode&34; 意思是時髦的,流行的。
&34;Mode&34; is fashion.
“Mode”意思是流行。
So, something that is a la mode is what is fashionable today.
所以,某事a la mode的意思是今日流行的事情。
And, again, it doesn&39;t have to be food.
我再說一次,這個詞不一定只用在食物上。
Now, if you go to the US, for example, or even in Canada, and you go to a restaurant and you order pie ? la mode, for some reason, that means pie with ice cream.
如果你去美國,或者去加拿大,你去了一家餐廳點了熱門的派,出于某些原因,意思是有冰激凌的派。
&34;a la mode&34; has been. . .
a la mode的意思......
Somehow translated into &34;with ice cream&34;, if you go to a restaurant.
有些時候在餐廳里被翻譯成了帶冰激凌的。
But &34;a la mode&34; means of the fashion.
但是a la mode的意思是流行的。
So, basically, what is trendy.
基本意思是,時髦的是什么。
Right?
對吧。
So, you&39;re going to wear something, like if you&39;re talking about clothes. . .
你要穿衣服,比如,你再談論衣服......
It could be food, whatever is trendy in food, or it could be fashion.
可以是食物,流行的好吃的,潮流什么的。
You have to dress a la mode;you have to dress according to the fashion.
你也可以dress a la mode;意思是你依照潮流穿衣服。
You have to speak according to the fashion.
你跟著潮流說話。
You have to write books a la mode;according to the fashion, according to what is popular and trendy today.
你緊跟潮流寫書,現在流行什么你寫什么。
&34;Piece de resistance&34;, so this is the main feature, like, when you&39;re talking about food, you have your appetizer, your salad, your soup, your entre, your dessert, but then the piece de resistance usually is the one dish that is the most amazing;the most beautiful, the most delicious.
&34;Piece de resistance&34;,主要的意思,比如,當你再談論食物的時候,有開胃菜,沙拉,湯,副菜,和甜品,但是&34;Piece de resistance&34;常常指的是最棒的,最好看的,最好吃的菜。
Right?
對吧?
But we also use this for anything that is the main feature.
但是我們也用這個詞來代表主菜。
So, if you go to a conference and there&39;s a. . .
如果你參加一場會議,然后那里有......
You know, a whole list of speakers giving speeches or keynote addresses,
一個總表,上面寫著將要演講或重要發言的演講者名單。
and then you have the piece de resistance;like, the main speaker.
然后你就看見了&34;Piece de resistance&34;;就像主講人一樣的意思。
The main event of the night, we also call it the piece de resistance.
今晚的主要活動,我們也叫&34;Piece de resistance&34;。
&34;The thing that is hard to resist&34;, you can say it in that way.
“難以抗拒的事情”,你也可以這么說。
Everybody knows &34;cafe&34;.
每個人都知道“cafe”。
You go to a cafe, you have a coffee.
你去咖啡廳喝咖啡。
Right?
對吧?
Or you go to a cafe and you have. . .
或者你去咖啡廳,你點了......
You sit down, you order something to eat and a little coffee, but this word has become so common in so many different contexts;we have internet cafes, we have. . .
你坐下來點吃的和咖啡,但是這個詞真的太普遍了,在很多語境中都有不同的意思;我們有網咖,我們能......
Sorry, we have a fly in my face.
不好意思,我臉上有只蒼蠅。
That&39;s not in a cafe, though.
那個可就不是咖啡廳了。
Internet cafes.
是網咖。
We have all kinds of cafes that specialize in something.
我們有不同種類的餐廳,咖啡廳。
So, a cafe used to specialize in coffee;now you have cafes for anything. . .
所以,cafe一般來說指的是咖啡廳;現在你可以表示各種場所......
Any boutique store.
比如精品店。
And &34;boutique&34; is also a French word, by the way.
然后 &34;boutique&34;其實也是個法語詞匯。
So, anything that is boutique, anything that is specialized,
所以,精品屋的東西,也就是特殊的東西。
we just call it a cafe these days.
所以我們也可以管這個叫cafe。
Now,&34;cuisine&34;.
現在是“cuisine”。
In French,&34;cuisine&34; means kitchen, but now &34;cuisine&34; basically means anything to do with cooking or food.
在法語中,“cuisine”表示的是廚房,但是現在 &34;cuisine&34;基本上來說也是和烹飪,食物有關的。
All right?
好吧?
So we. . .
那么我們......
If you like to eat French cuisine, you like to eat French dishes; if you like Italian cuisine, Chinese cuisine, if you like Portuguese cuisine. . .
如果你喜歡吃法式料理,也就是說你愛吃法國菜;也許你也愛吃意餐,中餐,葡餐......
We use &34;cuisine&34; for anything to do with cooking and the style of cooking.
我們用 &34;cuisine&34; 來表示任何和菜式,做飯有關的事情。
So, it&39;s not only French anymore;it belongs to everybody.
所以這個詞不只用在法語中了;它用在很多方面。
It&39;s a very common word in English.
這也是個英文的常用詞。
Okay?
好吧?
So, there you go.
所以就是這樣啦。
This. . .
這個......
You&39;ve learned more vocabulary.
你已經學了更多的詞匯。
Even though you didn&39;t learn English words, you learned French words, but again, used in everyday English as well, and not only about food, lots of different contexts.
即使你不學英語單詞,你也學了一些法語詞匯,但是,是用在日常的英語中,不僅僅是關于吃的,還包括很多在其他語境中的意思。
So, if you want to make sure you understand all these words, go to www. engvid. com and take the quiz, test your knowledge of these words.
如果你想看一看是否明白了這些詞,可以訪問www.engvid.com然后做個測試,查查你對于這些詞的掌握程度。
If you have any questions, ask in the comments section below.
如果你有任何疑問,可以在評論區留言。
And please subscribe to my YouTube channel. Don&39;t forget that in engVid, you can go to the search box, you can click on my name there as well.
請訂閱我的油管頻道。別忘了在engVid,在搜索框里,你也可以找到我的名字。
I have lots of different videos; lots of other teachers with lots of other videos to help you improve your English.
我有很多視頻;很多別的老師做的視頻能幫助你提高你的英語水平。
Don&39;t be shy, look around, watch the videos, come back for even more videos to help you improve your English.
別害羞,看看這些視頻,看更多的視頻來提高你的英語水平。
I&39;ll see you again very soon with something new.
我很快就會更新新的視頻和你們見面。
Bye-bye.
拜拜。
李夕